Head Start provides...
Comprehensive services to support the mental, social, physical & emotional development of children from prenatal to five years old. Educational services are combined with child development screenings, medical/dental services assistance, special needs assistance, family support services, and parent involvement opportunities, all responsive to family ethnic and cultural heritage. Programs support positive parent-child relationships, family well-being and peer connections in the community. These services are at no cost to families who qualify.
Eligibility of Services:
- Families must meet income guidelines or specializing criteria
- Children must have a physical examination to participate
- Families must be employed or live in Allegan County
- Children of all abilities are accepted
- Enrollment is prioritized based on need
Commitment of Participation:
Head Start Will:
- Provide comprehensive education & nutrition services
- Provide a supportive environment for children and families
- Support a positive parent/child relationship
- Encourage their child with consistent attendance
- Be involved and engaged in our program
- Be a partner with us and our program
MORE ABOUT OUR EARLY EDUCATION SERVICES
CENTER-BASED PROGRAMWe provide experiences to children in an educational setting using Creative Curriculum. Children are assessed 3 times per year and are provided healthy meals. We have indoor and outdoor learning environments centers located throughout Allegan County
HOME-BASED PROGRAMOur parent-child focused home-based program provides weekly home visits supporting child development using ‘Parents as Teachers’ Curriculum, playgroups and other socialization opportunities, three children assessments a year and is available throughout Allegan County.
TRANSPORTATIONBus Transportation may be available for students ages 3-5 years old. Children must ride in a car restraint/seat provided by Community Action while on the bus. Families have the option to self-transport their children as well.
During the 2016-17 school year we served 352 families.
of Head Start Students reached educational proficiency
children under the age of 5 in Allegan are living in poverty
of Early Head Start Students reached educational proficiency
of children received dental screenings
students had a diagnosed disability and received additional supports
children received free transportation