The Emergency Food Assistance Program

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) is a Federal program provided by Community Action of Allegan County that helps supplement the diets of individuals and families experiencing income challenges, by providing emergency food and nutrition assistance at no cost. This assistance is provided every 3 months to eligible households and typically includes a provision of two common grocery bags filled with non-perishable food items that cover the major food groups. The following months of distribution are:


Community Action will be distributing food on July 23rd, August 6th and August 20th from 10am -2pm

Commodity Food Flyer July and August 2020

Income Guidelines

Number in Household 1 2 3 4 5 6
Maximum Monthly Gross Income $2,126 $2,873 $3,620 $4,366 $5,113 $5,860

Senior Citizen’s Food Programs

Home Delivered Meals

The Home Delivered Meals Program provides well-balanced meals for seniors who are unable to prepare meals for themselves. Hot and frozen meals and supper sacks are available based on the dietary needs of each client. Meals are delivered to seniors’ homes and the Home Delivered Meals drivers provide needed contact and are able to monitor the health and welfare of the seniors on a routine basis. Home Delivered Meals are provided to eligible seniors without charge. Seniors receiving meals are asked to consider a contribution towards this service, but no senior is ever refused service due to an inability to contribute. Contact us at (269) 673-5472.

Project Fresh

We are in our 6th year of providing coupon books to eligible participants 60 and older (gross income is 185% of the poverty level) and they are able to purchase locally grown fruits and vegetables during the summer months from the local farmers' markets and roadside stands. Each coupon booklet contains ten $2.00 coupons. Nutritional information and recipes are also provided. It is truly a win/win program for the seniors, the farmers, and the community.

Income Guidelines

Number in Household 1 2 3 4 Each additional family member add
Maximum Monthly Gross Income $1,926 $2,607 $3,289 $3,970 $681

Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) works to improve the health of low-income older Americans / Senior citizens who are at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA Foods.  This program is distributed on the first Thursday of every month, on-site at Community Action’s office in Allegan at 323 Water Street, Allegan, MI  49010.

Program Guidelines:  Senior citizen must an Allegan County resident, age 60 years old or older and fall within below income guidelines.  For enrollment in this program, please call us at:  (269) 673-5472.

Income Guidelines

Number in Household 1 2 3 4 Each additional family member add
Maximum Monthly Gross Income $1,354 $1,832 $2,311 $2,790 $479


USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

October 2015

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)        mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)        fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)        email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Scroll to top